Friday, March 13, 2009

Marble Fire Preview


I was in New Orleans last week, and came back with a lot of ideas. We'll see if any of them make it to physical form.

I finished the first pendant using those faux marble stones I made.


This became insanely difficult toward the end. First, I made the stone way bigger than the tutorial cabochon, so my wires were all the wrong sizes. Improvising is actually one of my strengths, so it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. However, you can see in a lot of places this meant that I had little room to work with, and weaving in tight spaces is... not fun. But boy did it give me practice!




As I completed the cage, I realized that the top and bottom portions were not connected - which meant that it could pry open very easily and bend all out of shape. So I had to close the huge gap in the middle. I was already planning on incorporating beads into the next pendant, and I didn't really want to do any more beads on this one, not wanting to draw away from the black beads at the bottom. But I needed to do something simple. I already had my frame done, and connecting another piece of guide wire would have been more work than it was worth. So I figured out a small bead pattern and thankfully, it turned out all right.

As you can see, the pictures are not so good. I have to retake them before I put this up in the store. But they're good enough for preview pics, so here they are.

Once again, I find myself wondering about pricing. I'll be cruising etsy today trying to find comparable items to see what other people are asking for. My girlfriend said it should be $35, but she just tossed that number off. I'm not sure, but she insists it should be in that range.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment