Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Howlite in Byzantine

The bracelet has been listed!


I made this bracelet a couple of years ago, back when silver was way more affordable. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to working in silver. I do have a good amount of 24 gauge wire left, so there'll be earrings and such, but not a lot of my 18 gauge. I have enough for a project or two if I don't have to use a lot. Certainly not enough for chainmaille.

Howlite is a nice stone to use. It's an inexpensive borate mineral - calcium borosilicate hydroxide. It's naturally white, and very pretty. A nice bang for the buck, you might say. Howlite can be dyed very easily, so it is used most often as a turquoise substitute. As you can see, though, it's dyed in a variety of colors. I like the red.

No comments:

Post a Comment