Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Preview and experiments

The latest project I'm working on is a wonderful tutorial up on Jewelrylessons.com called Dance Around the Sun. I'm taking the name a little literally and doing it with orange and red art wire. I think it'll be pretty, and I'd rather use the materials I have than buy more silver colored copper wire since I don't have any in the right gauge. Once I get the hang of this stuff and start adapting to my own designs, I'll buy the good wire.

Anyway, I'm also experimenting with faux surfaces in polymer clay because I think it's neat, and I'd like to be able to make stuff that looks really nice - malachite or turquoise jewelry, for example - but isn't so expensive. I got these two really neat books on faux materials and I'm starting to try out the techniques. I'll link the books later since I don't have them with me and can't remember their names offhand. The first technique I'm doing is white marble.

As you can see from the pictures to the left, it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. The clay isn't, well, marbled enough and there are way too many black veins. It sorta looks like a bleached pebble more than a marble cabochon. But that's okay. I think they'll make nice focus stones for my Dance Around the Sun tries. The first guy is going to follow the tutorial as faithfully as I can. The second guy will be more my own design, an experiment to see how well I can adapt the technique. The second guy will also probably be a different color.

I also finished a new face this morning. He still needs a name, but I'll introduce him to you anyway:

As a prominent member of the Graegon warrior caste, this guy to the left was the natural choice to lead the mission to Earth. Tough and resilient, he commands with ease and always looks after his people. He is charismatic, noble, dyslexic, and deathly afraid of chickens.

He's pretty much done. The preview picture gives him a slightly different expression, which is interesting. I'm going to tweak him a little when I get home, but I like the way he turned out. If you think of a good name for him, I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment