Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sedona Pendant Preview

I finished the Sedona pendant last night, more or less. Not quite sure how to finish the bail, but the pendant itself is done.

I'm not as happy with it as I wanted to be. You can't really see the outside wrap around the frame, but I'm not thrilled about it. And I still might scrap the cactus bead on top (it's real cactus). It makes the piece look kind of like a Christmas ornament and it doesn't sit as well as I wanted it to. I used my dremel to put an indentation across the middle so it will sit on top of the frame and cover it, but it's a bit loose.

But overall, I'm not disappointed. This was my first wholly original design, as in it was not an attempt at, or inspired by, a tutorial. And I am very happy with the weave on the right. I think it came out very well.

Not sure if this is going into the shop yet. My fiancee says to list it and see what happens, and if it's sold she'll keep the other one I haven't made yet.

The rock itself is red sandstone from the red rocks are in Sedona. Unfortunately, most of the real red color came off when I cleaned it, but I really didn't want that dust getting everywhere and potentially staining the clothes of whoever wore this piece. I've got other nice rocks from the area, too, and I'll be doing a few more of these.

The burgundy and yellow are inspired by the agave plant. They spend about 40 years growing, flower once to reproduce, and then die. And they're really pretty when they flower.

So that's the first one. I'll post another picture when it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment