Friday, April 23, 2010

Made a new dragon last night. I may or may not put up a sneak preview - depends on how soon I do the scales. I'm trying a new method putting these guys together. I'm doing everything but the scales and then baking the dragon so the body cures, and then I'll put the scales on with a bit of adhesive help from some liquid clay. The theory is it should be easier since I'll have a firm body to work with, and I won't accedentally squish the body out of shape while I'm applying the scales. Also, this way I can experiment more without fear of messing things up too much by mixing the clay if the scales don't come off clean. I can also fix cracks and "moonies" during the scaling step.

That said, I baked the dragon itself last night (it's so cute!). And lo and behold there's a thin crack running along its side. So I'll fix that with some clay and then do scales. I know what color they're going to be, just not what shape.

I've been thinking about ways to do the dragons in stages to better control their construction, and this method may work out.

Meanwhile, I've finished a matching chain for the Marble Ice pendant. I was adjusting the bail this morning, and it broke. But that's okay because the bail sucked anyway. The weave on it was horrible, and now I have a chance to make an all-new bail with a much better weave. I've improved by leaps and bounds since I did this pendant, and I'm glad I get to repair it. The problem is, I'm not entirely sure how yet, but I'm working on an idea which will incorporate a bit of chainmaille into the bail. Preview pictures of that will be forthcoming. Hopefully I can get it finished and on etsy this weekend. I really want more jewelry stuff on there.

Also going to organize the basement a little to get my supplies in order. With all the house stuff we had going on, the basement just sort of became a dumping ground. I've started making it usable again, but it's got a ways to go. At least I can move my stuff off the kitchen table now.

No comments:

Post a Comment